What happened at Religious School 1/23/21
Jan 24, 2021
Hello CBH Religious School Community,
This week we celebrated Tu BiShevat, a minor holiday that marks the 'birthday' of the trees. On Tu BiShevat we raise awareness of our natural environment and the joy it brings. Eight families joined us on the parking lot for a Five Senses of Tu BiShevat Drive-In program. Although freezing and blustery out, we enjoyed a nature-themed exploration of our senses right from the comfort of our warm cars:
- TASTE: We tasted the 7 species including snacks made out of figs, grapes, olives, pomegranate, wheat, barley, date.
- SOUND: We repurposed old keys and made them into wind chimes using sticks and twine. We talked about what we can repurpose this year at home.
- TOUCH: Without looking, we reached into 3 bags, each containing a different object found in nature and guessed the object.
- SMELL: We smelled the scent of pine needles and reflected on memories it might bring. We sang the blessing over smells that is a part of Havdalah, the ceremony that ends Shabbat.
- SIGHT: We made lists of what we can do more or less of in order to help the environment in the coming year.
Ultimately the celebration was a lot of fun with plenty of music thanks to our music specialist, Jill Kimelman!
We hope to see you at our next Drive-In on Sat, Feb. 27th for Purim!
Written by: Clint Robinson